Boomer's Big Day by Constance W. McGeorge

Boomer's Big Day - Constance W. McGeorge

Moving can be scary and confusing.  Boomer in Boomer's Big Day experiences many of these emotions as his predictable schedule gets turned upside down.  While his family and strange people hustle and bustle around his house loading up big boxes, nobody is paying any attention to Boomer. He doesn't understand what is happening and he feels lonely and sad.  But once Boomer discovers he is moving to a new home, he perks back up and adapts very quickly to his new environment.  Students can relate to this book as they experience a move of their own, anxiety to change, and worries of the unknown.  All of these emotions are normal and what better way to convey this message to your students.  I would analyze with my students Boomer's character traits at the beginning, middle, and end of the story and discuss how he changed during the story.  This story would also lead into a great discussion about a time when they might have felt like Boomer.  I would have my students write a journal entry following this discussion.